Ty Crwn Mawr – Authentic Mongolian Ger (Yurt)
Ty Crwn Mawr (Large Round House) is a spacious, cosy and very comfortable authentic Mongolian Ger (better known as a yurt) with amazing views which can easily and very comfortably accommodate up to seven guests.
The yurt is beautifully furnished with lovely linens, wall hangings, rugs and fairy lights creating a warm and magical space. It has a super comfy king size bed and five single foldable futon beds that turn into seats. The yurt is light and airy with a clear round window in the roof and a north facing door to help keep things cool on sunny days and hot summer nights. Bedsheets, duvets and pillows are provided along with plenty of extra blankets but feel free to bring more with you.
Fully insulated with thick wool felt and heated with a brilliant wood burning stove, it’s toasty even on the coldest of winter nights. A basket of logs with firelighters and kindling are provided. Further packs of logs are available along with extra kindling and firelighters.
Ty Bach Pren – Bathroom and Kitchenette
Right next to the yurt is Ty Bach Pren, a small wooden cabin containing a bathroom (with compost toilet and hot shower cubicle) and a well equipped small kitchenette with sink, 4 ring gas stove worktops and fridge/freezer.
All pots/pans, crockery and cutlery, mugs and glasses etc are provided. We simply ask that you wash them before you leave.
Outdoor Seating, Fire Bowl and Covered Dining Space
There is a secluded seating area, covered dining area with fire bowl, grill & BBQ to the south of the yurt with plenty of chairs and benches.
Cast iron cookware (including a dutch oven) is provided for those full on outdoor fire based culinary experiences! So hey….collect some wood from the forest, get the fire bowl going and cook up a hearty meal….you are glamping after all!!!
In keeping with the ethos of our home, we have tried to use reclaimed/recycled/up cycled materials wherever possible.
There are standard 230v electrical sockets in the yurt and low energy lighting there and in the bathroom/kitchen & outdoor area which all run off renewable energy sources.
So by staying in Ty Crwn Mawr you will be doing your bit to reduce pollution and carbon emissions.
If you need assistance with anything just ask. We are here to help and glad to do so. 🙂
Guest reviews and comments
We were two familes of four that booked the two Yurts for a 3 night stay over the new year period, and we enjoyed every second of it! What an absolutly fanstastic place to stay. The House manual is very thorough but all common sensse, as seasoned campers weren't put off. There are a few things to think about as the site is completley off grid, but all things that are considerate to conserve enery and the environment.
The Yurts are amazing and extremly compfortable and to wood stoves heat them up so quickly... read more - 02 Jan 2020
We recently stayed for four nights with our 7 month old daughter and had a truly fantastic time. So nice to get away from everything and try something a little bit different.
Plenty to do in the local area including some lovely river/ forest walks right on your doorstep. We spent an entire day just chilling in the yurt/ garden area and our little one clearly loved it. The yurt and surrounding grounds were a sensory haven for her with so many colours, lights, sounds etc... she got particularly excited when a chicken wandered into the yurt!
Shayne and Nathan are... read more - 23 Aug 2019
Such a fantastic place to stay, right in the middle of the countryside. An hour to Snowdon an hour to the coast... brilliant. The fire in the yurt kept the room toastie, the kitchen had everything we needed to cook a Christmas roast and the shower had lovely hot water. Highly recommend! - 28 Dec 2019
The place really has that magical feel about it. Outstanding everything.
Nathan welcomed us as soon as we arrived with a warm and welcoming encounter. Incredibly approachable guy who made us feel so at home.
The yurt itself was a thing of beauty, bright and spacious.
Lovely hot showers, bbq facilities with fully functioning kitchen.
The surrounds are breathtaking. Sheep, chickens, ruby the dog all just added to the magic. The walk to the waterfall was lovely too, only a short distance from the yurt. Easy access to snowdonia too.
All in all a unique, 5 star experience.
Unforgettable. - 11 Sep 2019
If you're looking for something a bit quirky but that still has all the amenities you need, then this is a great place to go. The hosts are so friendly and welcoming, the yurt was incredible and they have everything you need. Everything is clean and the setting is fantastic, beautiful and quiet with a nice babbling brook for background noise. The shared facilities were great and we never had any issues with waiting (there is only one other yurt). Overall, great stay. The beautiful weather definitely helped 🙂 - 17 Jul 2019
I came tired, looking for an escape from London for a few days. I left whistlin' down the road, rested and renewed. A few observations:
1) Public transport to get there is easy. I took the train, then the T3 bus from Roabon. Stop for a pint at any number of cute pubs by the Ruabon station.
2) There are many lovely walkabouts from right at their place. I enjoyed a few long walks, and didn't see a soul the whole time.
3) The blustery, wintry weather turns the yurt into an evening orchestra! The stove pulls air, the rain pitters down, the... read more - 19 Dec 2019
Of all the places we have stayed, this was the most magical and refreshing one to date. The location is breathtaking, fresh air and gorgeous views. The yurt is so cosy and beautiful. We drove 50mins and climbed Snowden. There is a village 5 minutes away. Shayne and Nathan were excellent hosts. - 21 Oct 2019
Really friendly hosts and very helpful if needed but very relaxed and leave you to it otherwise. The yurts are really beautiful, as is the setting. The kitchen is well stocked with kitchenware to cook good meals for large groups. We bought logs from Nathan and made fires in the pits in the evenings. Has the amenities and comforts of a chalet stay but still feels like you’re camping in the wild! Great stay! - 11 Aug 2019
Wow! What a wonderful place to stay! The perfect place to get away from it all, chill and just enjoy the peaceful surroundings. Beautiful location and still convenient for other towns. Would definitely recommend the walk to Liberty Hall from the yurt and being around for sunset, also using the fire pit and star gazing at night. We'll certainly be back in future! Great, friendly and helpful hosts too xxx - 19 Sep 2019
You’ll love this place! Up on too of a hill, you can see the sunrise, sunset and moon rise. The changing weather systems make the scenery constantly different and interesting. The local village is super friendly as is the wee pub.
There is plenty wild swimming around, loads of walks and wonderful nature.
There is so much to do we ended up spending every day out the whole day but the yurt is huge and would allow for plenty of at home activities too.
Shayne, Nathan and all the animals are welcoming, helpful and friendly. - 09 Aug 2020
Very quiet and peaceful holiday which was perfect for us and our dog. Great location with many walks close by, to get further afield into snowdonia it took us roughly a 1 hour drive each time but this gave us great opportunity to stop off at beauty spots. It can get very cold in the yurt at night so the use of the wood stove is very much needed and the included free bucket of logs you get lasts at least 5 days. You share the kitchen and bathroom with the smaller yurt which everytime was clean and had... read more - 05 Jul 2019
Wow, what a lovely 4 days we have had at this beautiful yurt. Nathan and Shayne are great hosts very warm and friendly with lots of advice on local walks to hand. The yurt it’s self is truly amazing and it has its own little garden area with fire pit/bbq, chairs and table. The perfect place to come back to chill after a nice long walk and toast some marshmallows which went down a treat with our 6 year old son. I really can’t rate this pace enough. We are a family of 3 with a black Labrador and let... read more - 29 Aug 2019
Greener Camping Club Membership
In order to comply with countryside planning policy, we operate as a Greener Camping Club members only campsite.
The club was established by people with a passion for sustainable, eco-friendly camping holidays. Membership costs just £10 for the calendar year and provides access to some of the greenest campsites in the UK. It also includes participation in the Club’s ‘Trees for Life’ scheme, whereby a tree is planted for every Member we enrol.
When you book, we will automatically enrol you as a member of the Greener Camping Club. The cost of this non-optional membership will be covered in the booking charges. If you are already a GCC member then please let us know after booking and we will refund the £10 membership charge after you check out.
When booking you agree to provide us with your full name and email address in order that we can enrol you as a GCC member. We’ll issue your membership e-card by email before you check-in.
If you do not provide your full name and email address after booking and at least 7 days before check-in, then we reserve the right to refuse you entry to the campsite with no refund. Please note that if you cancel your booking, the £10 Greener Camping Club membership fee is not refundable.
Other things to note
- Safety: Smoke alarm, Carbon monoxide alarm, Fire extinguisher, Fire blanket in the yurt and cabin
- We have a fresh spring water supply, delicious clean vibrant water
- All electricity generated on site from renewable energy sources – 230v in the yurt and cabin
- There are low energy lights in the yurt, outside and and the kitchen/toilet
- 230v power sockets for phones or computers in the yurt.
- Sustainable wood powered heating
- Fridge Freezer
- Hot and cold running water and hot shower
- Composting toilet
- Bed linen and duvets are supplied for all beds.
- Bath/Shower towels are not provided.
- Washing up liquid, tea towels, dish cloths are provided.
- Do bring your own torches/lamps for use outside the yurt and matches/lighter to light the stove/bbq/fire pit/gas hob. You will need to supply your own charcoal for the BBQ or if you request it in advance we should be able to arrange that for you.
- Eggs from the free range chickens are available when they are laying and we haven’t already eaten them! Sorry if you are vegan but we love our chooks and they have a great life…as you will see!
- On the North Berwyn Way walking route.. Here’s a link to one of many websites: www.deevalleywalks.co.uk
- Internet/WiFi can be provided if required but due to our very rural location the internet can sometimes be a bit temperamental!
- Pets are welcome by prior agreement only – Must be fully house trained and kept on a lead outside the yurt if they haven’t been trained not to chase cats, chickens or sheep – Extra £5/night/pet.
- Please note that when the outside temperature drops below 5 degrees Celsius for more than 24 hours, we may have to turn the water supply to the kitchen/bathroom off and drain the system in order to protect the pipes from freezing. In this situation, large containers of fresh water will be made available.
- The fridge freezer will only operate when the outside temperature is above 10 degrees Celsius. It maintains its internal temperature for 24 hours so this is rarely an issue.
- The yurt is set well apart from the main house and well screened from the rest of the property.
- Ty Bach Pren, the wooden cabin kitchenette and bathroom is right next to the yurt.
- You will have your privacy but we are only too happy to chat, help, spend time, advise on places to go, things to do, where to walk etc. Apparently we are very approachable!
- Parking is 30m from the yurt.
- If you would like to try your hand at chopping your own wood or joining in whilst we work on the vegetable garden you will be most welcome.
- Feel free to play guitars, drums, or to sing your heart out if you are musically inclined but please be mindful of any other guests and your hosts!
- Enjoy the space and the feeling of freedom.
- You are welcome to use the garden, sit by the pond and generally make yourselves at home but please be aware that this is also our home and sometimes it’s nice for us to enjoy a bit of privacy.
Interaction with guests
We are available to recommend walks, mountain bike rides, places to eat, local entertainment nearby…or just for a friendly chat!
If you are celebrating a special occasion then we may be able to help with some great food and a bottle of something suitable, ambient music etc.
We will need a bit of notice to sort that out, but we want your stay here to be memorable and enjoyable so we will do what we can to help make that happen for you.
Ty Crwn Mawr Yurt Photo Gallery
Click on a photo to view full screen.